Skip Navigation


This page covers the sign regulations and application process for all signage within the City of Bastrop sign jurisdiction area, which includes the city limits and ETJ.


The sign code has been revised. Please see Chapter 8 of the B³ Code below for the regulations.

**Consistent enforcement of violations will begin March 1, 2022**

Quick Links
General Information
  • Fees are based on type and size of each sign, and are listed in the Master Fee Schedule, available in the Code of Ordinances as Appendix A.
  • Bastrop is an International Dark Sky compliant community, and lighting is regulated accordingly.

What is a lumen?

  • A unit of measurement specifying light output and brightness.

What is color temperature?

  • Measured in Kelvin (K), this specifies if the light is more orange (warm) or more blue (cool). White light is in the middle of the range. The max allowed color temperature is 3000K, which is a warm white.
  • Step 1: Due Diligence and Research

    • Review Chapter 8 of the B³ Code for the types of allowable signs and their standards.
    • Contact the Development Services Department as questions arise.

    Step 2: Prepare Submittal Materials

    • Each sign type will require their own permit application.
    • Assemble all materials found on the Sign Checklist.
    • Prepare diagrams of each size illustrating their location on the building/site, size, area, illumination (if externally illuminated), etc.

    Step 3: Submit Applications for Review

    • Submit each sign application in MyGov following the requirements of B³ Code Chapter 8.
    • The submittal will be reviewed for completeness. If the submittal is incomplete, correction items will be issued to the applicant to remedy the deficiencies. 
    • Fees will be assessed and invoiced. 
    • Once the submittal is complete, it will be reviewed by Staff for compliance with all Codes. Correction items and/or further direction will be issued.
    • Applicants will resubmit based on the correction items issued.
    • Once all correction items are remedied, Staff will approve the review and issue the permit.
    • Applicants must request an inspection once the sign is installed to verify compliance with the permit. See the Inspections page for how to schedule inspections.
  • The City of Bastrop regulates signage inside the city limits and throughout the entirety of it's extraterritorial jurisdiction (ETJ). The total area and the highway corridors are shown below:

The Mission of the City of Bastrop is to continuously strive to provide innovative and proactive services that enhance our authentic way of life to achieve our vision.