Skip Navigation
Subscribe to updates to this web page by entering your name and email. A confirmation email will be sent to you to verify your subscription.
Full Name
Confirm Email

Contact Information

Office Hours: 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM


City Hall

1311 Chestnut Street

Bastrop, TX 78602


Mailing Address:

1311 Chestnut Street

Bastrop, TX 78602


Main Phone: (512) 332-8840


Schedule an Inspection: (512) 332-8848


Main Fax: (512) 332-8829

(Attention: Planning)


Emergency Permits

This page covers permitting information for repairs and cleanup due to natural disaster or other emergencies.

Getting Back to Normal

Need to make emergency repairs following a disaster or other emergency? We want to help you get back to normal as quickly as possible. Work can begin right away on projects that present safety hazards in your home or business and a permit may be acquired after the emergency repair has begun. Inspections will need to be completed to ensure your emergency repairs meet code requirements. Some projects do not require permits (see below). Homeowners should save all receipts related to repair along with pictures of the damages and sections of pipe where leaks occurred in order to help with documentation for insurance claims or federal program assistance.

How to Apply for Emergency Permits

Apply for permits using MyGov: as you normally would. In the project description, include information about what makes it an emergency. The project may be eligible for discounted fees. 

Which home repairs do not require a permit?

A permit is not required for any single-family home or duplex that meet the following:

  • Cosmetic work (painting, installation and removal of wallpaper, tile, cabinets, countertops, etc.)
  • Exterior trim components (window glass, wood trim or soffits. Note this does not include door or total window replacement to include glass and frame)
  • Simple plumbing repairs (stop leaks, clear clogs, replace fixtures or supply valves, etc.)

For additional information, see the International Residential Code (IRC) Sections R105, N1107 and N1110, the International Building Code (IBC) Sections 105, 1107 and 1110, the International Plumbing Code (IPC) Sections 102 and 106.2, and the National Electrical Code NFPA 70 (NEC) Appendix H, Sections 80.9 and 80.19 (C). These codes are available on the Development Services Department home page under Current Codes.

What projects require permits?

For the safety of you and your home, all other types of projects do require permits. Common examples after winter storms include:

  • Ruptured or damaged water lines
  • Water heater replacement
  • Main electrical service
  • Structural damage
Does this apply to commercial structures and apartment buildings?

Many permitting exemptions for homeowners also apply to commercial structures and multifamily residences, such as triplexes and apartment complexes. Please check with the Building Official for a determination on emergency permitting requirements based on the specifics of the emergency repairs.

Other Items to Know

Licensing and Registration: Some trades, including plumbing, HVAC mechanical, electrical, and general contractor, require credential verification with the City of Bastrop. This also includes TDLR and TSBPE license numbers and proper insurance.

Homestead Permits: Eligible homeowners may complete some projects if the property is registered as a homestead with the Bastrop Central Appraisal District.

Tree Removal

The City's Protected and Heritage Tree Ordinance allows for storm-related emergency tree removal prior to receiving a permit. There is no fee, but documentation is required. The tree(s) must be dead, diseased, or causing imminent hazards.

  • Contact a tree removal company
  • Take photos of the trees
  • Document size, diameter, and condition of the trees
  • Submit a tree removal request within 14 days of removal using the permitting section of MyGov. There is a Tree Removal option under Commercial Permits and Residential Permits, depending on the classification of the property.
Expired Permits

Under the Governor's Orders associated with the COVID-19 pandemic, all permit expiration dates are extended to December 31, 2021. Please contact the Development Services Department if this applies to you.

Self Reporting Damage Survey
Report damage here:

Governor Abbot and the Texas Division of Emergency Management (TDEM) are encouraging Texans to complete the Self Reporting Damage Survey. This survey will help the state and emergency management officials to gain an understanding of the winter storm damages. This data is also needed to provide information to FEMA and highlight the need for federal disaster assistance for individuals. Reporting damage to TDEM is a voluntary activity, is not a substitute for reporting damage to an insurance agency, and does not guarantee disaster relief assistance. Governor Abbott said, "The information gleaned from this survey will help our state identify the full impact of this winter weather and help emergency management better serve Texans." 

The Mission of the City of Bastrop is to continuously strive to provide innovative and proactive services that enhance our authentic way of life to achieve our vision.